Saturday, November 26, 2011

Baked Burritos with Tomatillo Salsa Verde Recipe




Don’t these burritos look delicious???  We love to go out for Mexican food, but I wanted to find an easy way to make tasty burritos at home.  This recipe couldn’t be easier because everything is already cooked and I just need to assemble the burritos together. 


To make this all work, I went to my freezer!  Last Sunday I roasted the largest chicken I could find at the grocery store and froze my leftovers in separate serving size baggies {about 1 pound each}.  In my freezer, I also have 1 cup containers of frozen tomatillo salsa verde that I made over the summer from my CSA vegetables. 

These are so easy to make on weekdays and have lots of flavor.  Who said you can’t make your favorite restaurant dishes?!?!

Baked Burritos with Tomatillo Salsa Verde Recipe
Serves 5
Preheat Oven 350o

1 pound roasted, shredded chicken
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
5 flour tortilla shells
1 can of red kidney beans
1 cup salsa
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup tomatillo sauce

In a small bowl, mix together all of the spices; garlic powder, onion powder, cumin powder, and cayenne pepper.  In a large bowl with the shredded chicken mix in the spice blend and mix until the chicken is well coated.

On a working space, place one flour tortilla down.  Then down the center, sprinkle the cheese.  Then layer on top of the cheese with chicken, kidney beans, and salsa.  Add as much of each of these to your taste, but make sure to fill them up.  Next, roll up the sides and place the burrito onto a baking sheet.  Repeat until you have filled all of your tortillas.

Once all of your burritos are lined up on the baking sheet, pour the tomatillo sauce over all of the burritos. {My tomatillo sauce was frozen, so I placed it in a small sauce pan with a little water to defrost} Sprinkle more cheese on top.

Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.    

Tips:
1)      If you don’t have roasted, shredded chicken in your freezer you can purchase a roasted chicken from your local grocery.
2)   If you don't want to use shredded chicken, you can use cooked ground beef or pork. 
3)   Instead of meat, these can also be vegetarian with your favorite sautéed vegetables. 
4)      Feel free to add any of your favorites into the burritos to personalize them for you.
5)      If you don’t have tomatillo sauce, buy it at the grocery store or use salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...