Friday, August 12, 2011

Tomatillo Salsa Verde Recipe



Since we have joined the CSA, I have been introduced to some amazing produce of all different varieties.  This past week we received tomatillos from the farm.  I will admit, I was very intimidated to cook with them.  The tomatillos have an inedible, paper-like husk surrounding most of the beautiful green vegetable.  Once the husk is peeled off, the outside flesh is a bit sticky, so make sure to wash them well before cooking.  

The process for making the salsa was simple and smooth.  Once I got over my fear of cooking with a very unfamiliar ingredient, I put on some good music in the kitchen and got to work.  We served the salsa over grilled chicken, but I can’t wait to use my leftovers on enchiladas or even just with some nacho chips.  Next time you see tomatillos at your local farmers’ market, purchase them and you will be pleasantly surprised!   


Tomatillo Salsa Verde Recipe

1 pound tomatillos, husked
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 serrano chile pepper, minced
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups water

Place the tomatillos, onion, garlic, and chili pepper in a medium sized sauce pan.  Next, season with the cilantro, oregano, cumin and salt.  Cover everything with the water.   

First, bring the mixture to a boil over high heat.  Then, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the tomatillos are tender, about 10-15 minutes.

Using a blender, carefully puree the tomatillo mixture in batches until smooth.  Serve over grilled chicken, fish, enchiladas or with nacho chips as an appetizer. 


Tips:
1)      I didn’t have some of these ingredients in my pantry, so I substituted some, and it came out great.  Here are what I switched some things out for: 
onion = green onion (scallions)
1 serraon chile pepper = 1 jalapeño pepper
1 tablespoon fresh oregano =  1 teaspoon dried oregano
2)      This sauce makes a lot, so I was able to freeze some of it for later. 
3)      I used my immersion blender for the pureeing process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...