Monday, August 29, 2011

Zucchini Fritters Recipe


We are getting lots of zucchini in our CSA, and I am having fun finding different ways to cook it.  Zucchini fritters are delicate, fried nuggets of joy!  They have a nice crispy outside and a soft, sweet middle full of summer flavor.

These were so easy to make and are a great accompaniment to any meal.  My husband and I couldn’t get enough of these and I can’t wait to get a few more zucchini in our CSA basket to make them again!


Zucchini Fritters Recipe
Makes 12 Fritters
Recipe by Simply Recipes

1 lb of zucchini (about 2 medium sized), coarsely grated
Kosher salt
Ground black pepper
1 large egg
2 scallions, finely chopped
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup olive oil

 Salt the zucchini with about 1 teaspoon of salt. This salting will help to remove the excess moisture from the zucchini.  In addition to salting, make sure to squeeze out any additional liquid. 

Next, whisk egg in a large bowl.  Then add the zucchini, flour, scallions, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.  Mix the ingredients well to combine. 

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.   Once the oil is hot, cook fritters in two batches to not crowd the pan and help the oil maintain its temperature.  Drop six mounds of batter {about 2 tablespoons each} into the oil.  Flatten the fritters slightly, turning once, until browned, 4-6 minutes on each side.

Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to help absorb any excess oil.  Sprinkle with salt. Repeat the cooking process with the remaining batter.  Serve immediately.

Tips:
1)      After I grated my zucchini, I put it in a colander over the sink with salt to start to strain the extra moisture while I worked on getting the other ingredients together.   
2)      I didn’t have any scallions, so I used some minced yellow onion.  Remember, you can always adapt a recipe to what you have in your kitchen.
3)      I served these fritters as is, but you could serve with sour cream or a Greek yogurt sauce if you want to get fancy. 

1 comment:

  1. These look really yummy! Fritters are such a great way to use up excess zucchini.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...