Saturday, March 26, 2011

Spinach Gratin Recipe


I am a huge fan of creamed spinach.  I don't have it often, but when I do order it at a steak house it is a splurge.  Honestly, who can resist the creamy sauce baked into each crevasse of the spinach leaves?  You are still getting the benefits of the healthy spinach but just with a non-diet friendly accompaniment of the cream.  But every once in a while it is ok to indulge in something you really enjoy.  Everything in moderation is my motto.    



For my father’s birthday we had a family dinner at my parent’s house.  My mom was making my Dad’s favorite, leg of lamb, so I wanted to make create a side dish that was worthy of this special meal.  After perusing through all of my beautiful Ina Garden cookbooks, I came across the most amazing side dish, spinach gratin.  Heavenly! I had no idea I had one of my favorite restaurant recipes in my collection the entire time.  This could be a little dangerous now that I know how to make this recipe and it is so easy!

My Dad had a very happy birthday with his leg of lamb and spinach gratin. 

Spinach Gratin Recipe
Preheat oven to 425o

4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
4 cups chopped yellow onions (2 large)
1/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups milk
3 pounds frozen chopped spinach, defrosted (5 (10-ounce) packages)
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese

Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saute pan over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until translucent, about 15 minutes. Add the flour and nutmeg and cook, stirring, for 2 more minutes. Add the cream and milk and cook until thickened. Squeeze as much liquid as possible from the spinach and add the spinach to the sauce. Add 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese and mix well.

Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.

Transfer the spinach to a baking dish (9x13) and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan and the Gruyere on top. Bake for 20 minutes until hot and bubbly. Serve hot.

Tips:
        1) If you don't want to use the cream, you could substitute milk
        2) I use my fine mesh strainer over a bowl to squeeze out the liquid from the spinach.  By using the back of a spoon you can push the water through the strainer and away from the spinach easily. 

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I love spinach!
    Visiting from Kelly's Korner.
    Blessings,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...