Saturday, March 5, 2011

Pear Pancakes


Every Saturday morning growing up, my father would make pancakes or waffles for the family.  The comforting smell of the pancakes would flow through the entire house and wake us all up.   This was a special treat for breakfast because during the week there would be no time for a warm breakfast as we were rushing to get ready for school.   Everyone looked forward to Saturday’s warm breakfast. 

It was fun family time where we would all sit together on Saturday morning talking, laughing and discussing weekend plans.   When I moved out of my parent’s house, I knew I needed to take the pancake recipe along with me to my house and continue this tradition with my husband.  I like to add fruits, nuts, or chocolate to the pancakes to create a new experience every time.  This morning, we made pear pancakes and they definitely hit the spot.

Pear Pancakes Recipe

Makes 8 Pancakes

1 ¼ cup flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 egg
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pear (cored and cut into ¼ inch cubes)

Sift together all dry ingredients and put in large mixing bowl.  Combine egg, milk, oil, and vanilla in a small bowl.  Add wet ingredients to large bowl with all dry ingredients.  Fold in cut up pear into mixture.  Measure out batter onto a hot griddle that has been greased.  Cook on both sides until golden brown. 

Serve with warm maple syrup

Tips:

1)      I have also used apples, peaches and blueberries as a substitute for the pears
2)      If you don’t have fresh fruit you could always use dried fruit like cranberries, blueberries, coconut, or apricots
3)      If you want to add a crunch to your pancakes add cut almonds, walnuts, pecans or macadamia nuts

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...