Monday, June 18, 2012

Blueberry Lemon Corncakes Recipe


This past weekend I went to my parent’s house to celebrate Father's Day! My dad always made us delicious breakfasts growing up {and still does}, so I wanted to return the favor and cook him breakfast for Father's Day! He loves pancakes, so I wanted to share with him the pancake recipe that I have been working on that puts a new spin on the traditional pancake.


The blueberries are in full season and have been amazing! I can't leave the grocery store without picking up two pints each week! I add them to oatmeal, cereal, salads, and of course, pancakes! These blueberry lemon corncakes are bursting with sweet blueberry, complemented by tangy lemon zest and all surrounded by a cornmeal pancake batter. I love the combination of sweet and tart, so these corncakes do just that! They are so good that maple syrup is optional. Who wouldn't want to start their day off with these?

Blueberry Lemon Corncakes
Makes 8 corncakes

3/4 cups flour
1/2 cup fine corn meal
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoons sugar
Zest from 1 lemon
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons oil
1 pint blueberries

In a small bowl, combine sugar and lemon zest.  With your hands massage the lemon zest into the sugar to infuse the lemon flavor into the sugar granules. 

Sift together the remaining dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Combine egg, vanilla, milk, and oil in another small bowl. Add wet ingredients and lemon sugar into the large bowl with all dry ingredients.  Fold in the blueberries. 

Measure out batter onto a hot griddle that has been greased. Cook on both sides until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...